Damilola Adeyemo
ABUJA – Several Nigerians on social media have questioned President Muhammadu Buhari on his journey to Paris for African Finance Summit after there was a report that the proposed event has been canceled.
The president had departed Abuja on a four-day official visit and arrived in Paris on Sunday for the summit, an event which hasn’t been cancelled or postponed.
Earlier in a statement on Saturday by the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, he said the summit will also be “focused on reviewing African economy, following shocks from coronavirus pandemic and getting relief, especially from increased debt burden on countries”.
“Before President will return to Nigeria, he is expected to receive some key players in the oil and gas sector, engineering and telecommunications, European Council and European Union Representative for Foreign and Security Policy and Commission, and members of the Nigerian community,” the statement said.
Major stakeholders in the global financial institutions and some heads of government are expected to attend the summit.
According to Africa Explained, the event that was postponed is the Africa-France summit, which was to be held in early July in Montpellier, southern France.
The summit was pushed back to early October because travel constraints linked to the Covid-19 epidemic will be “insufficiently lifted this summer”, the town hall announced on Friday.
“The travel constraints set at the international level will be insufficiently lifted this summer to allow the arrival of hundreds of guests from the African continent. Without their massive presence, the event would lose much of its meaning,” wrote Montpellier town hall in a statement.
This news content remains the copyright of TECHNOCRAT MEDIA, to republish, please seek the consent of our News Editor via editor@technocratmediang.com
