Lai Mohammed, minister of information and cultures, says the federal government has ruled out the possibility of the forthcoming elections being cancelled or postponed due to insecurity.
The minister spoke on Tuesday at the 17th edition of the ‘President Muhammadu Buhari (PMB) Administration Scorecard Series (2015-2023)’ in Abuja, reacting to the possibility of postponement of the 2023 elections on the ground of insecurity by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
Mr Mohammed said there is no cause for alarm as all hands are on deck to ensure peaceful and credible conduct of the polls.
“The position of the federal government remains that the 2023 elections will be held as planned. Nothing has happened to change that position,” the minister was quoted by NAN.
“We are aware that INEC is working with the security agencies to ensure that the elections are successfully held across the country.
“The security agencies have also continued to assure Nigerians that they are working tirelessly to ensure that the elections are held in a peaceful atmosphere.”
The electoral umpire had earlier said it would ensure that intensive and extensive security is provided for election personnel and materials.
Speaking at the validation of election security training resources on Monday, Abdullahi Zuru, INEC commissioner and chairman of the board of the Electoral Institute, said Babagana Monguno, national security adviser, has assured that a conducive environment will be provided for the successful conduct of the general election.
Excellent journalism is expensive. It is only the same that can help to build our society and country to entrench good governance, and development and ensure justice for all.
We need your support for investigative findings and special reports to demand accountable and transparent government. DONATE today to help us stay relevant to serve your quest for accurate and authentic stories.
DONATE TO 0450702364, naira OR 0657626454, USD – GTBANK
TECHNOCRAT INNOVATIONS PLUS LTD