Nyesom Wike, minister of the Federal Capital Territory, has approved a three-month grace period for owners of 189 undeveloped plots of land in the FCT to begin work on them or risk their allocation papers being revoked.
Director of Information and Communication of the FCT Administration, Muhammad Sule stated this on Sunday in Abuja.
He said that the affected land title holders had obtained building plan approvals, but were yet to develop the properties.
According to Sule, the affected property owners were expected to develop the property within the stipulated period or have their title documents revoked in line with extant laws.
He explained that the grace period applies to individuals and corporate organisations that had demonstrated the desire to develop their property by obtaining building plan approvals from FCTA.
“The minister has extended this gesture to 189 property owners due to their desire to develop the properties by obtaining building plan approvals, a prerequisite for the development of any property in the FCT.
“Owners of the plots were exempted from revocation because they had already demonstrated a firm commitment to developing their property by obtaining necessary documents from the FCT Administration.
“The minister is urging the affected property owners to take advantage of the gesture and develop their plots in line with the terms of their offer of Right-of-Occupancy,’’ he said.
Wike in his inaugural address as minister of FCT had said the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) would withdraw the certificate of occupancy (C of O) given to people by previous administrations if such lands were not developed.